Summary:After the fall of communism, many of Bulgaria's IT experts left the country and headed to Western Europe. Today, a new breed of ...
Key facts on Human Resources Availability
- Bulgaria’s solid traditions in informatics education bring qualified ICT specialists to the market
- 220 high-schools with ICT-focused curricula backed up with a solid language preparation
- Over 15 Universities offering majors in ICT
- A range of ICT Certificate programs available, ranking Bulgaria 3rd in Europe with regard to ICT Certified professionals
- Substantial supply of specialists, including educated abroad
- Competitive wages
Students and Sample Universities
3 500 students get a degree in IT from Universities in Bulgaria each year. Data indicate an upward positive trend as total enrollment has doubled since 2001.
Enrollment of students in ICT majors
Around 90% of the employees have graduated from two universities:
- Technical University – Sofia: 41.5%
- Sofia University: 38.8%
Bulgaria holds 3rd place in Europe and 10th position worldwide with respect to the absolute number of certified ICT professionals.
IBM, Microsoft, and ESRI offer a variety of intensive training programs:
- 56 CISCO Academies: ~ 3 000 students annually; ~ 17 000 persons were trained in Cisco programmes over the past five years
- SAP University Alliances program: Sofia University, Sofia Technical University, University of National and World Economy, Oracle Academy works with high schools and universities’ IT departments
- ~ 1 000 Bulgarians have received accreditations in HP Education Centre Bulgaria
Bulgarian schools are traditionally providing high-quality education in the fields of mathematics and informatics. In the last 15 years Bulgarian students have won 10 gold, 22 silver and 22 bronze medals at the International Olympiad in Informatics.
Currently there are 220 schools in different regions in Bulgaria that offer specialized preparation in ICT.
Approximately 15 000 students receive a solid background in ICT right after graduating from school.
English is the language offered in addition to ICT training in most schools (82%) with German and French programs being also widely spread.
Academic Achievements abroad
Bulgaria has one of the highest proportions of students abroad from all European countries and 17% of those returning to the country have majored in Technical studies. According to Deutsche Welle Bulgarians represent the second largest foreign student community in Germany, after Chinese. Economics and Computing are the most popular majors among them.
- Concentration of ICT experts in Sofia and large cities with population over 100 thousand (74% of workers in the sector)
- Basically young professionals - 74% are aged under 45 years
- The majority of ICT professionals work in Bulgarian private companies (69%)
- 53% of employees in ICT have a master degree
- 53% of network specialists have obtained recognized ICT certificates
Source: Basscom, (f)*- forecast
New business model for recruitment (ie. Co-employment) allows for development of projects of international companies in Bulgaria, mainly in the IT sector.
Companies expand their business by employing Bulgarian specialists and integrate them into their own teams to develop their basic platforms and applications. The model is popular practice worldwide and is encompassed in the European legislation.
Source: Basscom, (f)* - forecast
Technical University - Varna
Technical University - VarnaMore information »
Technical University of Sofia
• 22 654 students • Departments in automation, machine and equipment, transport equipment, electronics and electrical engineering, machine building, engineering, etc.More information »
University of Plovdiv
University of PlovdivMore information »
Faculties of Modern languages, Philosophy, Law, Pedagogy, Journalism and Communication, Economics and Business Administration, Mathematics and Informatics, Natural SciencesMore information »
Pravets Vocational School of Computer Technology
Accredited by the Technical University of Sofia in 1986. Over 2 000 ICT graduates.More information »
Sofia High School of Mathematics
Specializes in mathematics and informatics for students between the grades of four and twelve; Intensive language programs introduced in the curricula.More information »
University of Plovdiv
12 000 students; Faculties of Economic and Social studies, Mathematics and Informatics, Modern languages, Law, Philosophy and HistoryMore information »
Technical University of Varna
4 500 students; IT majors include:Software and Internet Technologies, Computer systems and technologiesMore information »
American University In Bulgaria
1 200 students; Private University.More information »
New Bulgarian University
12 000 students; Private university; Specializes in Social sciences, Natural Sciences and Technologies, Arts.More information »